Home

05 January 2010

Adventures of 2010

Advice from Barbara Kingsolver, my most favorite author:

“Close the door. Write with no one looking over your shoulder. Don’t try to figure out what other people want to hear from you; figure out what you have to say. It’s the one and only thing you have to offer.”

For what it’s worth, I’m going to think out loud here (blog, online journal, whatever you want to call it) and write without looking over my shoulder. I’ll caution that my meanderings or challenges may elicit joy, anger, and contemplation. My expressions or diction may be both kind or acerbic, my questions unreasonable or obvious, and my ideas predictable or inspired. My intentions, though, will always be with love and in search of the truth.

Follow along as I document my year across the globe – 14 countries, 4 different continents – learning more about myself and the world at large than I even can pretend to anticipate.

Next week I’ll be in Nicaragua on a USD sponsored immersion trip. Our group leader calls us “pilgrims”, not “tourists,” meaning the next ten days will be be spent learning and listening to people and their truths.

When I return, I'll write a paper or two (haha, I wish) in San Diego before heading to Nova Scotia with the Semester at Sea program. From August to December, I will voyage to the ports of Spain, Morocco, Ghana, South Africa, Mauritius, India, Vietnam, Singapore, China, Japan then Hawaii and back home to San Diego.

So that is that, things will obviously be pretty light here in the spring for posting. But as summer approaches and passes, wi-fi on the boat in the middle of the ocean should provide plenty of time for contemplation and sharing.

love to you all!
Bon Voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment